"Nay, Ruth, you are not going to have secrets from me, are you? Don't you remember your promise to consider me as a brother? Go on telling me everything that happens to you, pray; you cannot think how much interest I take in all your interests. I can quite fancy that charming home at Milham you told me about last Sunday. I can almost fancy Mrs. Mason's workroom; and that, surely, is a proof either of the strength of my imagination, or of your powers of description."
Ruth smiled. "It is, indeed, sir. Our workroom must be so different to anything you ever saw. I think you must have passed through Milham often on your way to Lowford."
"Then you don't think it is any stretch of fancy to have so clear an idea as I have of Milham Grange? On the left hand of the road, is it, Ruth?"
"Yes, sir, just over the bridge, and up the hill where the elm-trees meet overhead and make a green shade; and then comes the dear old Grange, that I shall never see again."
"Never! Nonsense, Ruthie; it is only six miles off; you may see it any day. It is not an hour's ride."
"Perhaps I may see it again when I am grown old; I did not think exactly what 'never' meant; it is so very long since I was there, and I don't see any chance of my going for years and years at any rate."
"Why, Ruth, you--we may go next Sunday afternoon, if you like."
She looked up at him with a lovely light of pleasure in her face at the idea. "How, sir? Can I walk it between afternoon-service and the time Mrs. Mason comes home? I would go for only one glimpse; but if I could get into the house--oh, sir! if I could just see mamma's room again!"
- was anxious to examine a reported coal-mine which turned
- on his lordship. The wound he had received had broke out
- though he would go; the favorite on the other hand urging
- performed at the very moment we three were conversing together.
- slowly toward the north—he said nothing of the party
- out her hand, which the Prince kissed, kneeling on his
- “‘You have been long from England, my lord,’ says
- He asked for the guest; the guest was above in his own
- the light upon them. They led upward. He mounted cautiously,
- application of fire, and disappear again and leave the
- in it were indignant at the injustice of the persecution
- and the King and the Pretender alike could show proofs
- in finding any place to pitch our tents, for it was spring-tide,
- He was come to the very last days of his power, and the
- me away as my gaoler. I will not go with you, mother; I
- says Esmond. “If there are no proofs of my claim, I have
- and gunpowder. The latter article was required for a very
- wheedle, fawn on the Court favorite and creep up the back-stair
- Prince, ‘I do not love my mother the less, nor am I the
- and feared nothing, and who knew that the person calling
- very slowly northward along the trail that connects with
- pleased to sneer at the Colonel, and warmly espoused his
- King George?” And he betrayed the one Prince and the
- go order the coach that is to take me away. I thank you,
- was the especial pride and joy of My Dear and Meriem. The
- the Queen: ‘why were you not here to give a home to your
- and her family, and the meal scarce over, Doctor A.‘s
- his knees; took from his breast a paper he had there, handed
- He ducked rapidly, almost touching the muddy water with
- those that had the cards in their hands, and might have
- than other persons’ fathers.” And again she looked
- with a writ. A paper, of which Harley got possession, and
- reward that they would win from him if they carried his
- Beatrix, going down on her knees, and clasping her hands.
- to his cousin, who passed such a miserable night of mortification
- name; suffice it to say that several of them had exceeding
- often among the blooms beneath the great moon—the black-haired,
- of July, that influential lady, with whom it has been mentioned
- be greeted by his sister in waiting, and led by that other
- day, when there were not many persons about the Court,
- possessed for him. So it came that his was a familiar figure
- to say: ‘I am here, your brother, in your power.’ Lady
- to ask no questions, and betray no surprise, but to vouch
- Esmond; the Colonel bit his lips, and fairly beat a retreat
- without actually submerging his head, and to regain the
- save perhaps in this affair of poor Lockwood’s, when
- there was little reason for surprise. Frank was further
- “And what will your ladyship be?” says the Prince;
- the moving ray. Inhaling sibilantly, Max leaped after her.
- of harm’s way; for, by the Lord, were the Prince to play